Managing Network File Mapping for Disparate Directories

The Network File Mapping feature of Yadle allows users to perform necessary file path substitutions to be able to open files directly when using the Desktop app. The reason this is needed is due to the fact that the path the Yadle agent sees for files is most likely different than how the files are actually stored whether locally or on network storage.

This is best illustrated with an example.

Let’s say I have the following folders on my Windows 10 PC that I want to index with Yadle.

1. C:\Users\Erik\Desktop
2. C:\Users\Erik\Photos
3. C:\Program Files

As part of the Yadle set up, these folders were mounted on the Linux system running the Yadle agent under the /yadle data root as follows:

C:\Users\Erik\Desktop --> /yadle/desktop
C:\Users\Erik\Photos --> /yadle/photos
C:\Program Files --> /yadle/program_files

Now if I were to add a single indexing path of /yadle, the contents of all 3 of those folders will get indexed by Yadle. The trouble lies in setting the correct network file mapping. You see, each indexing path can only have one substitution path for file mapping per OS (Linux, macOS, Windows). The solution to this is to define indexing paths and network mapping for each folder explicitly.

Therefore, our device settings would want to resemble the following:

Indexing Path: /yadle
No Network File Mapping

Indexing Path: /yadle/desktop
Windows Network File Mapping: C:\Users\Erik\Desktop

Indexing Path: /yadle/photos
Windows Network File Mapping: C:\Users\Erik\Photos

Indexing Path: /yadle/program_files
Windows Network File Mapping: C:\Program Files

And that’s it. Now anytime you search via the Yadle desktop app and click on “Open” for a given file, Yadle will be able to open the source file due to the correct file mapping.

Here is what the agent device settings would look like for the example outlined above: